The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of the Government of
India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. It was founded on 24 th September 1969 in the birth-centenary year of Rashtrapita Mahatma Gandhi. It provides an opportunity to the students to take part in various government led community service activities & programmes.
The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands-on experience to young students in delivering community service. Our college has 2 Units of NSS and Currently 200 students have registered as NSS Volunteers (69 males and 131 Females) for the year 2022-23. NSS Office is located at Ground Floor, in Chemistry Building of Vartak College.
The NSS Badge Proud to Serve the Nation:
All the youth volunteers who opt to serve the nation through the NSS led community service wear the NSS badge with pride and a sense of responsibility toward helping the society.
The Konark wheel in the NSS badge having 8 bars signifies the 24 hours of a day, reminding the wearer to be ready for the service of the nation round the clock i.e. for 24 hours.
The red colour in the badge signifies the energy and spirit displayed by the NSS volunteers.
The Blue colour signifies the cosmos of which the NSS is a tiny part, ready to contribute its share for the welfare of mankind.
Motto of NSS – Not Me But You :
The motto of the National Service Scheme is NOT ME BUT YOU. NSS inculcates a sense of social work and responsibility toward the society among the volunteers.
Vision of NSS is to facilitate Campus – Community Linkage and to develop the youth to grow into responsible citizen of India.
To practice the Motto of NSS that is Not Me But You by delivering selfless service for community welfare.
Aims and Objectives :
- Providing opportunity to connect & to deliver community services
- Making students aware of various social issues
- Sensitizing volunteers to environment and to promote sustainable development measures.
- Personality development and skills acquisition
- Developing Leadership Qualities and Team Building
- To promote National Integrity
- To create awareness about preventive measures for HIV Awareness
- To create awareness about Consumers’ Right
NSS Program Officer
- Dr. Shatrughan Phad
- Mrs. Aditi Yadav
Members Of NSS Advisory Committee
- Mr. M. B. Bhagirath
- Mr. N. B. Bangar
- Dr. S. T. Dongre
- Mr. Sachin Pise
- Ms. M. N. Bhatu
- Mr. Sachin Dhodi
- Mrs. Praveen Dhangada
- Ms. Snehal Raut
- Ms. Manasi Jobanputra
- Ms. Jyoti Thankar
- Mrs. Deepa Dalvi (District Co-ordinator, Palghar)
- Mr. Sanjay Patil (Representative from adopted Village)
NSS Student Leaders
- Ms. Indu Mali – (Contingent Leader)
- Mr. Rohan Suryavanshi – (Assistant Contingent Leader)
- Ms. Pooja Dadas : Participation in SRD Camp and Republic Day Pared at Shivaji Park, Mumbai in Presence of Governor and CM (State Level) on 26 th January 2020.
- Ms. Muskan Sheikh : Participation in Utkarsh Camp at Kavayitri Bahinabai Chaudhari University, Jalgaon and won third prize in Poetry Writing (State Level) from 28/1/2020 to 31/1/2020.
- Mr. Kishan Sahani :Participation in Avhan – Disaster Management Training Program at Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded (State Level) from 3/6/19 to 12/6/19.
- Mr. Sunil Bind : Participation in Pre-RD Camp at Kavayitri Bahinabai Chaudhari University, Jalgaon (National Level) from 12/10/2021 to 21/10/2021
- Ms. Lakshmi Singh : Participation in Avhan – Disaster Management Training Program at Kavayitri Bahinabai Chaudhari University, Jalgaon (State Level) from 19/12/22 to 28/12/22. She got selected in 8 volunteers from 1200 NSS Volunteers across different parts of Maharashtra and for the Interview level wherein she was interviewed by NDRF Trainers.
- Mr. Deepak Jaiswar : Participation in Avhan – Disaster Management Training Program at Kavayitri Bahinabai Chaudhari University, Jalgaon (State Level) from 19/12/22 to 28/12/22
- Ms. Anusuit Rai : Participation in Leadership Development Program, Wada, Palghar (District Level) from 17/12/22 to 21/12/22
- Mr. Shannykumar Gupta :Participation in Leadership Development Program, Wada, Palghar (District Level) from 17/12/22 to 21/12/22
- Mr. Sahil Tiwari :Participation in National Integrity Camp at Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, District – Anand, Gujrat (National Level) from 10/2/2023 to 16/2/2023
Progression of NSS Volunteers
- Kishan Sahani :founded Student Organization – Yuva Sangharsh Vidyarthi Sanghatana
- Shubham Rai :Pursuing his MSW from Mumbai University and associated with NGOs like Jijau Shaikshanik Samajik Sanstha (Education and Health Sector) and Akaar Mumbai – Dry waste management
- Deepali Shinde :Pursuing her MSW from Mumbai University and working as intern in Women Child Development Cell, Palghar District
Events and Activities
Regular activities of NSS –
- Tree Plantation
- Eco-friendly rakhi exhibition
- Blood Donation Camp
- Vaccination Drive
- Cleanliness Drive
- Awareness rallies
- Street Plays for Public Awareness
- Celebration of International Yoga Day, NSS Day, Gandhijayanti, Constitution Day, etc.
- Guest Lectures
Unique activities of NSS –
Let’s Celebrate Valentines’ Day with people on the street –
This Food Distibution Drive was started in 2017 and carried out every year. This innovative idea was given by NSS Volunteers – Kishan Sahani, Ashish Kajrekar and Muskan Sheikh. The purpose is to celebrate Valentine’s Day in unique way by spreading the Love, affection and care to people who are abandoned. In 2017, they started this drive by distribution of Biscuits and water bottles to children and senior citizens on street in Vasai- Virar areas. As the years passed, the scope of the work increased. In 2018 60 packets of veg. biryani along with water bottles were distributed. In 2020, 200 packets and in 2022, 300 packets of veg. biryani along with water bottles were distributed. This activity is carried out by Ex-NSS volunteers and current NSS volunteers. They donate money, prepare food, pack the food and distribute it to needy people. They also get help from college teachers and other students.
Joy of Helping –
NSS volunteers of Vartak College are always ready to help the needy people in society. They enthusiastically undertook following activities –
- Food & Stationary distribution to children victims of Kolhapur flood (August 2019)
- Celebration of Diwali and Distribution of Cloths to Orphans and senior citizens at Samarth Ashram.
- 10,000 sarees were distributed to female covid fighters in collaboration with Jijau Shikshan Sanstha as a token of gratitude. (Nov, 2021)
- On International Women’s Day, 130 sarees donated by female college teachers were distributed to Tribal Women in villages of Virar (March, 2022)
- Notebook Distribution – 10,000 notebooks were distributed to children in 5 zilla parishad school in collaboration with Jijau Shikshan Sanstha (Nov & Dec2021)
Plastic Free Vasai Campaign – Paper bag making and Distribution-
The objective of this activity is to promote Plastic Free Society and Sustainable Measures of Development. It is based on the principle of Reduce, Recycle and Reuse. NSS Volunteers Collected waste newspapers from nearby people They made more than 3000 bags of these waste newspapers and then, they distributed these paper bags to street vendors in Vasai – Virar with a request ‘not to use plastic bags’. (November 2022 to December 2023) This campaign will help to promote true identity of Vasai that is ‘Harit Vasai, Sundar Vasai’.
Distribution of Local Tree Saplings to farmers in Vasai –
50 Local tree saplings like custered apple, Mango, Jamun, Guava, Jackfruit, Kadunimb,chapha were distributed to 7 farmers on 14/8/2022 in Nirmal and Kalamb Villages and they were educated about importance to plant local trees.
Activities under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav –
NSS Unit of Vartak College celebrated Azadi Ka Amritmahotsav with a great enthusiasm. We undertook various activites like Samuh Rashtragaan, Cleanliness drive at Primary Health Care Center, Vasai, Flag Distribution to citizens, Prabhatpheri on Independence Day, etc.
Activities in NSS Special Camp –
Every year NSS Unit conducts 7 days residential camp for NSS Volunteers in Chandip Village at Virar. Total 100 volunteers out of 200 can attend the camp.
- Activities in NSS Special Camp –
- Warmup, Yoga and Fitness Activities
- Shramadaan – activity involving physical labour for welfare of village.
- Guest Lectures
- Cooking, cleaning and other basic routine activities
- Sports (Team Games) – Kabbaddi, Kho-Kho, Langdi, Lagori, etc.
- Group Discussion
- Cultural activities – Singing, Dance, Poetry, Mono-act, etc.
- Visit to Village
- Camp Fire
Activities for Adopted Village –
1.Cleanliness Drives at Mandavi Fort, Ishwarpuri Temple, Jilha Parishad School.
2. KalaJaagar – Organization of cultural program for villagers for the purpose of entertainment and to spread awareness about social issues.
Benefits of Being an NSS Volunteer
Apart from the 10 grace marks and NSS Certificate authorized by Mumbai University and Government of Maharashtra, following benefits are seen in active NSS Volunteers-
1. Leadership Qualities
2. Team Building Skills
3. Event Management Skills and problem-Solving Skills
4. Time management Skills
5. Humanistic and Administrative Skills
6. Development of Self Efficacy and Self-reliance.
7. Physical Fitness and habit of physical labour.
8. Development of performing arts, fine arts and literary skills through various competitions.
9. Skills of Anchoring and Comparing
10. Reduced Stage Fear
11. Healthy Coping skills for stress management
12. Developing strong friendship bond with Peers.
13. Positive attitude and overall Personality Development.
14. Opportunities to participate in various National, State and District Level Camps and Competitions.